One last reminder that applications for the PSG Travel Award are due Feb. 8. The call is further below these two quick notes:
- If you are presenting in Denver and are otherwise eligible to receive the AAS graduate student stipend, you may also apply for PSG Travel Award funding, i.e. they are separate programs, and it is possible to receive both. See the AAS’s website for more information about their graduate student stipends and who is eligible to receive them, keeping in mind that for these purposes, a PSG Travel Award should not be considered to be an AAS source of funding.
- In your application for a PSG Travel Award, when you list other funding received or expected, please include not only the source but also the amount (e.g. “AAS graduate student stipend, approx. $200”).
Philippine Studies Group Travel Award (2019)
In support of excellence in scholarship on the Philippines, and to increase the participation of junior scholars, the Philippine Studies Group (PSG), a committee of the Southeast Asia Council of the Association for Asian Studies, is pleased to announce the Philippine Studies Group Travel Award for the sixth year.
The PSG invites applications from individuals who will present a paper on the Philippines at the 2019 AAS Annual Conference in Denver or the AAS-in-Asia Conference in Bangkok. This year, we expect that up to four (4) awards of approximately $250 will be given to assist eligible individuals in defraying travel costs to the conference. Award amounts may be higher, funds permitting. Applicants must personally deliver their presentations at the conference to receive their award. The PSG Travel Fund committee will select awardees using the following criteria:
- Eligibility: Current Ph.D. students are given priority; other graduate students as well as recent Ph.D.s (2017 on) are eligible to apply.
- Excellence: peer review/acceptance of the paper by applicable AAS/AAS-in-Asia Conference Committee. Excellence is prioritized over financial need; accepted works that are part of organized panels are also prioritized over individual papers. Applicants may indicate additional measures of scholarly merit such as a related publication/exhibition/other media not otherwise indicated in the paper abstract.
- Philippine themes/topics/issues: The entire paper or a significant portion must be devoted to Philippine material, regardless of discipline. For comparative works/case studies/multiple foci, the Philippine dimension must be evident, as demonstrated by title and abstract published in the AAS or AAS-in-Asia program.
- Impact: the award should not be relied upon to cover all participant costs of travel but help defray customary conference expenses. Applicants are asked to briefly state other funding sources applied for and received, if applicable (such as the AAS Graduate Student Stipends, AAS LDC awards, AAS-in-Asia travel subsidy, own institutional or grant support, etc.). PSG’s travel awards have less restrictive residence requirements than the AAS Graduate Student Stipends.
Applicants are invited to send an email to the PSG country chair Megan Thomas (University of California, Santa Cruz) firstname.lastname@example.org by February 8, 2019. In your email, please include your name, your institutional affiliation, your residence (city), your rank (if a grad student, pls. tell us in what degree program; if a recent Ph.D., pls. tell us your degree date, position title, and whether it’s a tenure-track position), paper title, a copy of the abstract and panel information (session number, date and title), and any other funding received or expected. Please use the email subject line “PSG Travel Award 2019.” Award decisions will be announced by February 20; recipients will be presented with their awards during the PSG Section Meeting Friday, March 22, 7:30-9:30pm.
On behalf of the PSG Travel Fund Committee Bernardita R. Churchill (University of the Philippines, Diliman), Barbara Gaerlan (University of California, Los Angeles), and Yoshiko Nagano (Kanagawa University, Yokohama), thank you for your interest and support!